Wednesday, October 21, 2009

When God Smiles♦

Did you know we are "Veggie Ambassadors"? This means that the people who produce famed Veggie Tales send to us a copy of the newest DVD supposedly a couple of months before its release in stores. The purpose is so that we can play the movie for the community and give out posters, stickers and coupons so that people will buy the movie when it is released. We like this arrangement. We get to see the movie and then we get the left over stickers to use for Vacation Bible School and neat posters for the boys' room. (yeah, we stack 'em like cord wood around here.)

Anyway, one of the more recent releases was "Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Noah's Umbrella." This episode bothered me. It talked about making God smile. Not being afraid to be ourselves makes God smile. This seemed to be the main message of the story.

Now Veggie Tales has been known for bringing Biblical truths in a fun presentation format. I have been good with this. This time, they used a message, as if it were from the Bible, that is not in the Bible, not even alluded to in the Bible. God smiling? Where did this come from?

Then last night, I was seeing some videos and accusations against "America's Pastor" Rick Warren. I watched 4 videos. None of them agreed, though all 4 of them were Pastor Rick talking. But it is this last one that shed the light for the Veggie Tale that has bothered me so. Take a gander at it.



As a preacher, it is our duty, our responsibility to make sure what we preach is found within the Word of God. This is not just Sunday mornings or at church settings, but all the time, 24/7. When people see me walking down the aisle at Wal-Mart, they greet me as preacher, pastor, or depending on the person, even reverend. (I really don't like this last title for me and he knows it.) People know me around this community. So what I do on Sundays is not, and cannot be separated from how people see me even on the soccer field as I coach the Bandits.

So it really bothers me when, at a glance, someone whose theology is close to mine then leaves that theology and "creates" new "truths". I sit back and watch how main stream people watch, swallow and follow these new teachings. I pray for those who follow "America's Pastor".

Now please don't misunderstand me. I do not hold the average person responsible for bad theology. I will open the Bible and show him what God really says, if the person wants, but I will not draw into an argument with them. I save the arguing for my colleagues, the other preachers.

They as "God's shepherds" should know better. James 3.1 tells us that we should not presume to become teachers {of God's Word}, because we know that as teachers we shall be held to a higher standard.

I guess that this is all part of "Re-Imaging our Christian Faith" to fit with our new world times. That just really bothers me.

2 Tim 3.16 says the Bible is all we need to become the person God wants us to be, for doing the good works that God wants us to do, aka spread His Good News.

And Rick, do you really want to please God? I implore you to look at Hebrews 11.6.

Thanks for listening to this rant of mine. May God's blessings flow through you to those who need His love. --smh

No comments: